Los Angeles tech amps it up with Silicon Beach Fest.
By Debra Eckerling (Founder, Write On Online)
In Los Angeles, we have surf, sand and tech – and all of it in abundance. What better way to celebrate tech, entertainment, and startups than with Silicon Beach Fest!
Silicon Beach Fest runs June 21-23, 2012, at a dozen different venues in Santa Monica and Venice. Created by Digital LA and presented by engage:BDR, Silicon Beach Fest will have panels, keynotes, workshops, mixers and more.
One of the best parts of the upcoming festival – women represent!
“Silicon Beach Fest has many creative, entrepreneurial, successful women who are founding startups,” explains Kevin Winston, CEO of Digital LA.
Several of them will be moderating or speaking on panels at Silicon Beach Fest:
- Allison Beal (Founder, StyleSaint) will speak on the “Fashion Goes Digital” panel on Saturday, June 23 (10am – noon) at Hotel Irwin.
- Bettina Korek (Founder, ForYourArt) will speak on the “Digital Art and Online Artist Communities” panel on Saturday, June 23 (10am – noon) at Hotel Erwin.
- Elizabeth Stewart (Co-Founder & CEO, The Hub LA) will speak on the “Social Enterprise: Startup For Good” on Saturday, June 23 (noon – 2pm) at Hotel Erwin.
- Holden Steinberg (Co-Founder & President, PageWoo) will speak on the “Elements of a Kickass Mobile Strategy” panel on Friday, June 22 (3pm – 3:45pm) at Cross Campus.
- Jean Chong (Founder & CEO, Starbates) will speak on the “Restaurants: Apps (Mobile) & Apps (Edible) Meetup” panel on Saturday, June 23 (4pm – 6pm) at West 4th & Jane.
- Joselle Ho (Co-Founder & Creative Director, Miso Media) will speak on the “Elements of a Kickass Mobile Strategy” panel on Friday, June 22 (3pm – 3:45pm) at Cross Campus.
- Sarah Pollack (Founder, Simply Stylist) will speak on the “Fashion Goes Digital” panel on Saturday, June 23 (10am – noon) at Hotel Irwin.
- Sophia Viklund (Co-Founder, BackCode) will speak on the “Developer Debate – Which Comes First? Front End Or Back End?” panel on Friday, June 22 (4pm – 6pm) at Google’s Venice office.
- Stacy McCoy (Co-Founder & CEO, Give To Get Jobs) will speak on the “Social Enterprise: Startup For Good” on Saturday, June 23 (noon – 2pm) at Hotel Erwin.
In addition to the panels, keynote, startup village, hackathon, and traditional networking parties, there will be activities such as accelerator basketball, surf lessons and volleyball on the beach.
“Los Angeles has always encouraged creativity, good ideas, and rewarding the ability to get things done,” Winston continues. “Whether you have a script or startup, to succeed all you need is a good idea, some interpersonal savvy to make good connections, and follow-through. LA women have all of that.”
Editor’s note: Got a question for our guest blogger? Leave a message in the comments below.
Photo credit: Bugsy on Flickr.
About the guest blogger: Debra Eckerling is the Founder of Write On Online. She is a professional writer and communications specialist with expertise in business, entertainment, tech, and education. Debra teaches individuals, entrepreneurs, and small business how to organize their projects and articulate their expertise. Debra has been a speaker at the #140conf State of Now in both New York and Los Angeles, as well as the #140edu conference. Follow her on Twitter at @WriteOnOnline.